9.20.2012

Pie Crust


I have tried to perfect my pie crusts for some time. I just never seamed to make it both tasty and beautiful. The crust edges would either slip down during baking, or the unbaked crust would crack as I put it in the pie tin. Then I figured out what makes a good pie crust GREAT. The key is to refrigerate (or freeze briefly) the crust before rolling out, and for after shaping into the tin. I'm not a pie crust expert, but this recipe is the best I've found.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS

  1. Mix shortening, flour, and salt together with a fork or a pastry blender until very crumbly. Add as much water as needed to hold together, and mix lightly with a fork.
  2. Press into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 40 min or freeze for 20 minutes. 
  3. Roll out on floured surface and then lay over pie tin. Cut off excess, and if desired crimp edges. 
  4. Refrigerate for 40 minutes, or freeze for 20 minutes. 
  5. For a double crust pie, double the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment