7.26.2012

Buttered Basil Shrimp


Now first, I must say that I HATE all types of SEAFOOD! That's right. Anything that has lived in water, with the exception of a California sushi roll, disgusts me. So you can imagine my surprise when I actually enjoyed my seafood meal at a west coast restaurant after being referred there by a friend (who incidentally also hates seafood). How could I have been so delighted by my shrimp dinner that I was reluctant to give up even a taste to Josh?

The answer is ... Butter.

Yes, the same answer I have to all cooking questions. Just add butter and it will taste better. I fried these shrimp in melted butter, and they turned out just as delicious as Mo's Restaurant. If you are a seafood hater, just try this! If you don't like basil, try another spice, or heck, just salt! The butter is the key. And make sure you use high quality butter. I have tried countless shrimp dishes from a variety of restaurants, but they must have either used oil (which I feel enhances the fishy flavor, rather than getting rid of it), or cheap butter. I used fresh Tillamook butter...mmmm nothing better!

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb uncooked, cleaned shrimp
Salt
Garlic powder/ garlic salt
Basil
2 Tbls lemon juice
4-6 Tbls butter

DIRECTIONS:
1. Sprinkle the shrimp with the salt, garlic powder, and basil, to taste (flip and repeat to the other side if you want extra flavor). Drip the Lemon juice over the seasoned shrimp.

2. Heat a skillet to medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan. Lay the shrimp in a single layer in hot butter. Fry for 3-5 minutes (depending on how hot your pan is). Flip to the other side and cook 2-4 minutes more.

I served these over Fettuccine Alfredo, but Josh liked them with cocktail sauce too.

No comments:

Post a Comment