8.24.2011

I love Cornbread Yes I DO!

I have loved cornbread since eating it at my grandmother's house years ago. It is such a great homey, comfort food.
Most people are tempted to get the boxed/bagged mixes, but I encourage you to try this homemade recipe. It is surprisingly easy and it tastes like heaven.


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or milk with 1 tbls vinegar. See note below)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.




**NOTE: About the buttermilk...there is no point in buying buttermilk from the store. You never end up using the whole carton and it is simple and cheap to make at home. Just add vinegar or lemon juice to milk, let it sit for a minute or two, and you have buttermilk!

1 comment:

  1. Good advice! :)

    I made cornbread once when we were first married and accidentally used salt instead of sugar. Horrible. Luckily I didn't actually bake it, but I discovered this crucial error while tasting the batter.

    ReplyDelete